Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Sunday Treasures



This Sunday my sister and I went on a shopping adventure around Austin, and boy oh boy did we hit the jackpot. We both have driven by this beautiful shop on Lamar called, Mockingbird Domestics, but we had never been in. Since we had a little extra time this Sunday we figured we would finally take the plunge, and we are so very glad we did. Mockingbird Domestics has so many little treasures around their shop. They have absolutely gorgeous furniture, screen prints, greeting cards, coffee table books and so much more! These are some of our treasures we found this weekend. 


The wooden Texas is made by a couple who lived in West, Texas. When the fertilizer plant exploded this year the couple started making these as a way to fundraise. After the fundraiser they enjoyed making them so much they actually continued on with them as a business, and I have to admit I am so glad they did! My sister bought one of the smaller sized ones to decorate our new house with.


I made sure to buy a few smaller things that I fell in love with. In 5th grade our schools took us on a field trip called "Live Oak." They taught us all about cacti and how you can use each part of the plant for survival. Ever since then I have been obsessed with cacti. Sounds odd, but it's true. I am creating a picture wall in my new bedroom, and I figured this cactus screen print would be the perfect addition to my barren wall. 


I also snagged an awesome feather journal that was screen printed right here in Austin. I absolutely love how so many shop owners are supporting local artists! Since I'm about to move into a new studio I figured a little Austin skyline postcard would look great on my corkboard since this beautiful city inspires me everyday.


Lastly, my sister purchased this awesome screen print of the lyrics to "Deep in the Heart of Texas." This is my favorite of our purchases. We both saw it and it immediately reminded us of our Dad, after all he is the one responsible for teaching us this song. It may seem cheesy but some nights you cant help but look up at the Texas night sky and start singing this song and clapping along. It must be a Texas thing...

Follow Mockingbird Domestics on Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment