Thursday, August 13, 2015

Mongolia : Day 4



Day 4 started out a bit rainy, and cold. When our group met up for breakfast in the morning, everyone seemed a bit hesitant on whether or not to follow up with the plan of hiking to the extinct volcano of Uran. 

Thankfully, our group's thought process was "we didn't come all this way to NOT climb up to a volcano in the rain."

3 layers of clothing later, we were in the van heading towards the base of the volcano. 




Throughout our hike there were these beautiful pinkish, purple flowers that led up towards the crater. The juxtaposition between the bright colors, and the fog was absolutely beautiful! 


After 30 minutes of slipping and sliding around, our group made it to the top of the crater! We then proceeded to walk around the entirety of the ridge. I tried to take pictures, but it was just one of those moments where the pictures didn't do the scenery justice. So after a few attempts, I simply put away my camera and decided to enjoy what was right in front of me.




 The hike down with the wet mud, and tiny rocks definitely wasn't as easy as the trek up. Thank goodness for our trusty Drivers, and Guide Grace! 

 The view from our room in Moren

After an afternoon game of Volleyball at the ger camp at UranTogoo, we packed up the van and headed to our next destination in Moren. Our group was so excited as our guide, Grace, told us we were staying in a hotel. Immediately everyone's eyes lit up imaging a hot shower, electricity and wait for it...WIFI! It became a joke within our group as everyone was more excited for wifi than a hot shower. However, the hotel wasn't as dreamy as we thought it would be.

 My sister and I walked into our room and couldn't help but laugh in fear. (I say fear, but I'm slightly exaggerating. It was more of just a culture shock) The room was scented of cigarette smoke, and dust. The carpets were a bit grimy, to the point where Hannah and I didn't take off our shoes the entire stay. Sadly, the hot showers we were dreaming about was exactly that...a dream. The electricity was shut off for the day, leaving us with no hot water. However, I needed to shower...and might I add badly.

This was a moment of the trip I will never forget. I'll keep the story short, but I have never experienced a shower colder than this. As I was shrilling in the bathroom while attempting to wash off, my sister was in the other room saying in a condescending tone "You know Ceci, sometimes you are just going to have to take a cold shower." Little did she know, when it was her turn to shower how cold it really was. Luckily, I got to throw the same line she gave to me, right back at her. Sisterly love right there.



After dinner we had the choice of staying in the hotel room for the night, or going out to experience a Mongolian Disco. You can bet your bottom dollar we chose the second option. 

Hop to, we are at the "Mongolian Disco", which we all came to the conclusion we were just in someone's basement. However, we embraced the night out and took shots of the iconic Chinggis Khan Gold Vodka! Thanks to Chinggis, we all were able to have a good night's sleep in the not so ideal hotel room.

--------

I also want to add, that I say all of this with love and a smile. I am in no way shape or form complaining in regard to the hotel room, as it was one of those experiences where Hannah and I came out with a changed perception. I wanted to include the bit about the hotel to show that not everything in travel is glamorous or as expected, but in the end it is all worth it. This was one of those days where I was thankful I got to experience everything I did, especially with my sister. It made us appreciate the little things we had back at home, such as hot water and electricity, that not everywhere in the world has access to. 

All of a sudden all my emotional problems back at home, seemed like small potatoes compared to the situation at hand. I am forever grateful to have experienced this trip, and especially this day in particular, as it altered my perception in a way that I will never forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment