Thursday, March 5, 2015

Adopt a U.S. Soldier



One of the greatest rewards with Little Pieces of Hope is finding new non-profits to team up with. Sometimes finding a new charity can be difficult, while other times customers help me out by giving me a suggestion on where to start my research. This time around, I felt as if the Universe was nudging me to go in a different direction.

Towards the end of last year I saw the movie Unbroken. I was so captivated by the story of Louis Zamperini that I wanted to learn more. I know most people read the book, and then go see the movie, however I did things in reverse order. And let me tell you, if you haven't read this book you absolutely need to. After reading this story, I had a whole new perspective, and understanding of what the military and military families go through. That's when I realized I wanted to try and help. 

After endless nights of research I am excited to introduce our new Charity of the month, Adopt a US Soldier. AAUSS started when a Mother's son was deployed to Iraq. He was a medic, and saw a lot of awful things there. Each week, the mom sent him care packages for him and his unit that would weigh close to 60-70 pounds. After a few weeks the Mother got her friends to join in on sending care packages to the son for him to share with his platoon. By Christmas, they were successfully helping 175 soldiers and were well on their way to helping more.


Adopt a US Soldier is a way to connect civilians with deployed troops overseas. Staffed fully by volunteers, AAUSS has helped thousands of soldiers find friendship, support, and a much loved and needed touch of home. 

For the next few weeks, our jewelry proceeds will go to our very own "adopted soldier". We will be able to write him letters, and send him care packages to let him know he is not alone, and how thankful we are for his service.

No comments:

Post a Comment