Monday, September 15, 2014

road trip










After a very long, and enjoyable Summer in Colorado I finally packed up my Jeep and headed back home to Tejas. Thankfully my kind sister volunteered to fly up to Denver, only to get back in a car for another 16 hours or so. I know, best sister award. 

The day we left Colorado, it was snowing! Quite rare for Colorado this time of year, but I picked up my sister from Denver airport only to find her in jeans a t-shirt and flip flops. I couldn't help but laugh. 

Since my sister was along for the ride, we agreed we would make a few pit stops along the way. The first stop, which was actually the creepiest stop was at the Ludlow Massacre Site. Not only was the site completely empty, but there was such intense fog you couldn't see half a mile in front of you. We both thought a Zombie was going to pop out at any second and that would be the end of us. Luckily, we made it out alive, and headed to my favorite rest stop in Trinidad. The past 3 or 4 times I've made this road trip, I make a mandatory food stop at Bella Luna Pizzeria in Trindad, Colorado. Such a cute historic town, with a damn good Pizza parlor. 

Once we made it to New Mexico, we made another pit-stop at Capulin Volcano. Unfortunately it was such bad weather, and fog we couldn't make the drive up to the Volcano. I guess we will have to save that for next time! 

After a goodnight's sleep in Amarillo, Texas we started the second day of the road trip at Palo Duro Canyon. I honestly, can't say enough about this stop because it was by far our favorite adventure. Palo Duro Canyon is the second largest Canyon in the U.S, behind the Grand Canyon of course. 

Not only is the sight unbelievable, but the history behind the Canyon is so interesting and captivating. I couldn't believe something like this was in Texas! 

Since we were on somewhat of a tight schedule we couldn't explore what all the Canyon had to offer, but we have quite the agenda planned for the next adventure up there. 








No comments:

Post a Comment