Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Mongolia - my path to happiness



As many of you know, I recently took a 2 week sabbatical to travel and backpack across Mongolia. I'm sure you, like many of my other friends and family thought to yourself "Mongolia?! Really, Ceci?" So, allow me to explain myself. 

This year has been a year of transition for me. I don't know if anyone else had this experience, but after I graduated college I took upon the role of "being an adult". I figured since I graduated, it was time for me to get a "real job", move out of my parent's house, and start living the "adult life". For years I tried to live a life that I thought I was supposed to. I made plans and decisions based on what I was "supposed" to do, rather than what I really wanted to do, in fear that I would be judged for my actions. Most of the time I ended up being really stressed out...especially when things or events didn't turn out as I planned. As the months went on I merely coasted through, accomplishing the bare minimum of what needed to be done in all aspects of my life...whether it was with my work, my relationship, or even my health. And then, 2015 happened. 

Towards the beginning of the year, life simply happened. I had an event occur where I could either take the destructive route, or the high road. Of course, I definitely went down the not-so-great-road for a bit, but with the help of my friends and family I have landed in the present, which is thankfully full of life, and restoration. And that is exactly what Mongolia was for me, a trip full of healing, peace and restoration.


Meet my Mom's friend Amelie; a world traveler, practicing Buddhist, and all around good person. When my mom was 18, she packed up her things, jumped in a van and moved from Michigan to Austin. When she arrived in Austin, her neighbor ended up being Amelie, and from that moment on they have been the best of friends. 

To keep the long story short, I will summarize by saying if it weren't for Amelie, this trip to Mongolia wouldn't have been possible. When I was first given this invite to travel along with her, I had some hesitations. Before 2015, I wasn't the type of person to say "yes" to traveling abroad, let alone to Mongolia. For reasons based out of fear. Fear that I couldn't handle the culture shock, fear that I would get sick, fear that I wouldn't like any of the food, and more importantly fear that I would feel lonely. However with much convincing from friends and family, I realized that that as scared as I was, this somehow seemed to be the perfect solution to find peace within. This was my opportunity to push fear aside, and live outside my comfort zone...and thank goodness I did.



This trip to Mongolia made me realize many things. It made me appreciate all the little things in life. It also put my so called "first world problems" into perspective. I realized it's a luxury to have paved roads, toilets, and hot water. We spent many nights in the country side of Mongolia where there was no internet or electricity, which led many of the nomadic families to spend time having some good ol' fashioned fun. With Mongolia having about 16 hours of sunlight in the Summer, the families and camp employees would spend countless hours playing in the fields. Whatever little items they had, they were their prized possessions, whether it be a volleyball, a bouncy ball or bubbles.

Every day I was learning something new, not only about Mongolia, but something about myself. It wasn't until I got back home that I realized how much this trip changed my life...how much it saved my life. I no longer live in that "adult" mindset I once did. Sure, I have some adult responsibilities, but my perception on how I should live my "adult life" is completely different than the one before. I no longer live life according to what's" normal", or what "should" be done. I simply live life for me. 

This trip was an opportunity for me to re-invent myself. A time where I was allowed to be free. 
Free to be bold. Free to be strong. Free to be adventurous. Free to be fearless. 



For the next few days, I plan on posting a few pictures here and there to show you the beauty of Mongolia, in hopes that they will inspire you to travel the world. I know this blog post is lengthy, but if you are to take one message, remember this. Life has no remote. If you aren't happy it's up to you to get up and change it yourself. Don't go around blaming others, as you are the one responsible for making the change. Happiness starts with you. Not with your relationships, not with your job, not with your money, but with you

So, now you know...the reason behind my trip to Mongolia. 











No comments:

Post a Comment